Forward goes home to California because of family illness
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina Tar Heels sophomore Alex Stepheson has returned home to California because of an illness in the family and will miss the Tar Heels' game against Kent State on Wednesday night.
Stepheson, a 6-9 reserve forward from Los Angeles, is averaging 3.5 points and 4.8 rebounds for the top-ranked Tar Heels (13-0).
"We are not certain when he will be able to return," coach Roy Williams said in a statement Wednesday. "Of course, at this time our thoughts and prayers are with Alex and his family."
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Jordan Men's North Carolina Tar Heels Michael Jordan #23 Carolina Blue All-Star Replica Basketball T-Shirt