Cross leaves Irish's staff to be new coach at Toledo
TOLEDO, Ohio -- Toledo hired Notre Dame assistant Gene Cross as its new men's basketball coach Friday, giving him responsibility for a program that hasn't been to the NCAA tournament since 1980.
Cross replaced Stan Joplin, fired last month after 12 seasons.
Cross, who spent 11 years as an assistant at Notre Dame, Virginia, DePaul and Illinois-Chicago, said he was impressed by Toledo's commitment to basketball, citing the renovation of its arena.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Top Cats: Zona is new No. 1; Syracuse 2nd
- UF guards Wilbekin, Hill to play vs. Kansas
- Ducks overcome Henderson, Ole Miss in OT
- No. 24 San Diego St. rallies by Washington
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Notre Dame Fighting Irish #22 Navy Basketball Replica Jersey