Appleton, Thomas to leave Kansas
Coach Bill Self said Thursday that Appleton, a junior guard, and Thomas, a freshman forward, have "chosen to attend a university where they can have expanded roles."
It is not clear where they will attend, but Self said the players told him about wanting to transfer during end-of-season meetings.
Kansas made it to the NCAA tournament round of 16 this season, but then lost 67-62 to Michigan State in the Midwest Regional semifinals.
Appleton, of Gary, Ind., transferred to Kansas from Midland (Texas) College. He played in 21 games this past season and scored a season-high four points against two teams in December.
Thomas, of Newark, N.J., played in 26 games and averaged 1.5 points and two rebounds.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Iowa St. rallies to beat Baylor for Big 12 title
- No. 1 Florida wears down Tenn., in SEC final
- Louisville takes first AAC final, tops UConn
- Providence beats Creighton to win Big East
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Kansas Jayhawks #29 Blue Replica Football Jersey