Appleton, Thomas to leave Kansas
Coach Bill Self said Thursday that Appleton, a junior guard, and Thomas, a freshman forward, have "chosen to attend a university where they can have expanded roles."
It is not clear where they will attend, but Self said the players told him about wanting to transfer during end-of-season meetings.
Kansas made it to the NCAA tournament round of 16 this season, but then lost 67-62 to Michigan State in the Midwest Regional semifinals.
Appleton, of Gary, Ind., transferred to Kansas from Midland (Texas) College. He played in 21 games this past season and scored a season-high four points against two teams in December.
Thomas, of Newark, N.J., played in 26 games and averaged 1.5 points and two rebounds.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Canty backs off Auburn commit, will visit USF
- Sources: Vols target La. Tech's White as coach
- Tarkanian released from Las Vegas hospital
- Duke's Hood follows Parker into NBA draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Schutt Kansas Jayhawks Mini Football Helmet