- Andy Katz, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
Miami's top post player, Dwayne Collins, has withdrawn from the NBA draft.
Collins withdrew Friday, 10 days before the deadline, the school announced Friday. The 6-foot-8 forward was the Hurricanes' second-leading scorer, averaging 10.6 points a game. He led Miami in shooting percentage (56.5 percent) and rebound (7.3 a game). Collins wasn't invited to the NBA draft combine in Chicago last week.
"Dwayne is not only one of the better post players in the ACC, but one of the best in the country. He gives us a go-to guy, gives us leadership and experience of playing in the ACC," Miami coach Frank Haith said. "There's no doubt Dwayne has learned a great deal throughout this process and got great feedback of what he needs to do to take his game to the next level."
Haith said Collins was told he has raw talent but must be more consistent and work harder.
Haith said he's confident Miami can finish in the ACC's top eight. North Carolina and Duke are projected to be the top two teams in the conference but Boston College, Wake Forest, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Clemson and Miami also look promising.
"I think we are in the mix with those teams," Haith said.
Former Villanova guard Malcolm Grant will become eligible for Miami after sitting out last season. Grant, Collins, guard James Dews, forward Cyrus McGowan and wing Dequan Jones form a strong nucleus. Guard Durand Scott, out of New York, leads a highly touted recruiting class.
Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.