BYU could lose Rose for several weeks
PROVO, Utah -- BYU basketball coach Dave Rose had emergency surgery to remove his spleen after experiencing internal bleeding over the weekend.
The school says Rose could take several weeks to recover from the surgery and his assistants will assume his duties, including running summer basketball camps.
Athletic director Tom Holmoe announced Rose's surgery in a news release Tuesday.
Rose was in Las Vegas for a family reunion when he became ill over the weekend.
BYU is 97-34 in four seasons under Rose.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Workers trying to save buckling UCLA court
- Giving back: Hill donates $1.25M to Duke
- Ex-PC starter Fortune heading to Colorado
- Mayo leaves Marquette, pursues pro career
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- BYU Cougars Classic Basketball Bracelet