White leaving Gophers, college hoops
MINNEAPOLIS -- Prized recruit Royce White says he's leaving the Minnesota basketball team because of his legal troubles and the stress they are causing his family and the program.
White made the announcement in a video posted on YouTube early Thursday.
Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that White hasn't informed anyone in his department about a decision.
White is currently indefinitely suspended from the team while police investigate the theft of a laptop computer from a dorm room in November. White says he's innocent.
The 6-8, 250-pound forward was Minnesota's top recruit last season. He says the police investigation has been stressful for his family and the program, so he's quitting.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Black helps No. 18 Kansas trounce Hoyas
- Randle rallies Kentucky to win over Belmont
- UMass takes 1st loss after controversial call
- UNC not applying for Hairston reinstatement
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Minnesota Golden Gophers Maroon Basketball Practice Performance T-Shirt