Fitzgerald, Pledger cited for shoplifting
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma freshmen basketball players Andrew Fitzgerald and Steven Pledger were cited for shoplifting at a department store in Norman, just hours after the Sooners upset Texas on Saturday.
Police spokeswoman Jennifer Newell says the players were ticketed for petty larceny and released.
Newell said Monday the citation was written by a security officer in Dillard's. She says according to the ticket, the security officer reported seeing Fitzgerald and Pledger concealing shirts inside a blue plastic bag.
Pledger scored nine points in Oklahoma's 80-71 upset victory over Texas. He averages 6.5 points per game. Fitzgerald averages 3.7 points per game.
Any discipline will be handled internally, team spokesman Mike Houck said.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Oklahoma Sooners Crimson Long Sleeve Shootaround Shirt