Ellington, Lawson saluted before game
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina has honored two more stars from last season's run to the national championship.
The Tar Heels honored the jerseys of Wayne Ellington and Ty Lawson before Saturday's game against rival North Carolina State. Ellington's No. 22 and Lawson's No. 5 will hang in the Smith Center rafters among the 38 jerseys that are honored by the program, but not retired.
Both players left for the NBA after their junior seasons and were first-round draft picks.
Ellington qualified for the honor by being selected the Most Outstanding Player at the Final Four, while Lawson qualified by being chosen the Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year.
Earlier this week, the program retired the No. 50 jersey of Tyler Hansbrough, who was selected the AP Player of the Year last season and graduated as the ACC's career scoring leader.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC not applying for Hairston reinstatement
- No. 2 Syracuse runs away from High Point
- Oglesby (foot) ready to return for No. 25 Iowa
- Heels' James out 2 weeks with knee injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Jordan Men's North Carolina Tar Heels #1 White Replica Basketball Jersey