John Calipari expects early losses
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky coach John Calipari has a message for fans expecting the Wildcats to rip off their first 19 games as they did a year ago: Don't count on it.
Calipari said Tuesday he expects the Wildcats to "lose early" while they figure things out. Kentucky has to replace four starters and five players who declared for the NBA draft after leading the team to a 35-3 record a season ago.
Calipari says he "screwed up" by overscheduling. Kentucky will play in the Maui Invitational against teams like Oklahoma and Virginia and nonconference games against North Carolina, Indiana and Notre Dame.
The coach believes the tough opening weeks will benefit the team down the road.
Kentucky begins practice with Big Blue Madness on Friday at Rupp Arena.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC's McDonald reinstated; Hairston still out
- AD backs SIU coach after tirade goes viral
- Laettner's jersey from 'The Shot' at auction
- No. 3 Ohio State pulls away from Delaware
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Kentucky Wildcats Blue Full-Zip Basketball Performance Hoodie