Tom Izzo to receive coaching award
LOS ANGELES -- Michigan State's Tom Izzo will be honored with the Legends of Coaching Award as part of the John R. Wooden Award ceremony in 2011.
Izzo will receive the award at the Los Angeles Athletic Club in April, along with the men's and women's Wooden Award winners as college basketball's players of the year.
Under Izzo, the Spartans have made six Final Four appearances, including last season. He has a career record of 346-164 and has graduated 83 percent of his players who have completed their eligibility. His winning percentage of 74.5 percent in the NCAA tournament ranks third among active coaches, behind leader Mike Krzyzewski of Duke and Roy Williams of North Carolina, both former Legends of Coaching recipients.
Other former winners include Billy Donovan of Florida, Rick Barnes of Texas and Pat Summitt of Tennessee.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Source: Barclays negotiates with A-10, ACC
- Gibbs beats buzzer as Seton Hall stuns Nova
- KU edges Okla. St. in OT behind Wiggins' 30
- Baylor holds on to down No. 17 Oklahoma
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Michigan State Spartans #11 Green Elite Replica Basketball Jersey