Jim Calhoun quiet about NCAA hearing
Connecticut's hearing in front of the committee on infractions in Indianapolis began at 8:30 a.m. Friday and didn't conclude until 10 p.m., a UConn spokesperson confirmed to ESPN.com.
Coach Jim Calhoun and athletic director Jeff Hathaway were in attendance throughout the day and missed Friday's Midnight Madness festivities. But Calhoun and Hathaway were on their way home late Friday night and Calhoun is expected to be at the men's team's practice Saturday.
According to the spokesperson, the hearing, which was scheduled for two days, concluded in one long day and there are no plans for a Saturday hearing.
UConn self-imposed penalties last week in response to the notice of allegations dealing with eight major recruiting violations. UConn took away a scholarship in each of the next two seasons and put itself on a two-year probation. But the school and Calhoun were disputing that the head coach failed to monitor an atmosphere of compliance.
The violations incurred centered on Nate Miles and his relationship with former manager-turned-agent Josh Nochimson. Miles didn't play for the 2009 Huskies team that went to the Final Four, but only because he was dismissed from school after he violated a restraining order against a woman.
The COI usually takes at least six weeks before it renders its final verdict and hands out any penalties against a school. Even if the COI still hands down the charge of failure to monitor on Calhoun, it won't affect his job status. Calhoun signed a new four-year contract last season, and the only lasting effect such a stain would have on the 68-year old coach is singling him out for not controlling his program and preventing a violation.
UConn forced out the two assistant coaches -- Patrick Sellers and Beau Archibald -- who were singled out as misleading investigators, a charge they disputed.
In addition to the probation, scholarships for men's basketball have been reduced from 13 to 12 for the 2010-11 and 2011-12 academic years. The school also has agreed to reduce the number of coaches who make calls to recruits and the number of "recruiting person days."
The NCAA and the school have been investigating the program since shortly after March 2009 Yahoo Sports report that Nochimson helped guide Miles to UConn, giving him lodging, transportation, meals and representation.
As a former team manager, Nochimson is considered a representative of UConn's athletic interests by the NCAA and prohibited from having contact with Miles or giving him anything of value.
The school said it found that the basketball staff exchanged more than 1,400 calls and 1,100 text messages with Nochimson between June 2005 and December 2008.
Neither Miles nor Nochimson cooperated with the NCAA investigation.
Calhoun has said he investigated whether there was an improper relationship between Nochimson and the recruit, and warned the player against getting involved with Nochimson.
The school also has admitted that five players from last year's team also received improper calls. They were declared ineligible when the school discovered the calls, and were reinstated by the NCAA last November.
Rich Karcher, director of the center for law and sports at the Florida Coastal School of Law, said that doesn't mean UConn will avoid sanctions.
"If you had ineligible players that played in games, then if the NCAA is going to be consistent with past practices, it could vacate some wins," he said.
UConn was 18-16 last season and lost in the second round of the NIT.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Pauley Pavilion court flooded as main breaks
- Giving back: Hill donates $1.25M to Duke
- Kentucky great 'Wah Wah' Jones dies at 88
- UAB grants All-C-USA PG Frazier his release