John Calipari nominated for UN award
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- University of Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari has been nominated for the inaugural United Nations Nongovernment Organization Positive Peace Awards in the coach category.
The group Celebrate Positive said Wednesday that Calipari was nominated by a charity called Samaritan's Feet that provides shoes to the needy around the world. Calipari helped bring shoes to children in Haiti and Detroit.
Samaritan's Feet marketing director Todd Melloch recalled Calipari appearing in bare feet during the national anthem at a Kentucky basketball game to encourage support of the group.
The award nominees are judged by organizations including Rotary International and Sister Cities International. Winners in the sports categories will be announced this month.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Arizona holds Oregon St. to 34 points in rout
- No. 4 Duke dismisses junior guard Sulaimon
- St. John's guard sorry for offensive tweet
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Kentucky Wildcats Blue Elite Game Jacket