The school said Monday that Smith has asked to be released effective immediately. It is not clear where he may transfer.
Smith has started five of the eight games he has played this season, but is averaging less than 10 minutes per game, with 1.4 points and 1.5 rebounds. He has missed the team's past two games because of an illness.
In a statement, Marquette coach Buzz Williams thanked Williams for his contributions and wishes him "all the best" on and off the court the rest of his career.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Stockdale Marquette Golden Eagles Team Ribbon Magnet