Syracuse's Fab Melo pleads not guilty
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse center Fab Melo has been arraigned in City Court on a misdemeanor charge after a fight with his girlfriend.
Police say the 20-year-old Brazilian allegedly got into a fight with his girlfriend and damaged her car on Monday. Melo, who was accompanied to court by assistant coach Bernie Fine, pleaded not guilty to criminal mischief and released without bail.
City Judge James Cecile issued an order of protection for the woman, who was in the car at the time of the incident.
Coach Jim Boeheim referred all questions to the university's public affairs office, which declined comment.
The 7-foot Melo, the preseason Big East rookie of the year, never lived up to the hype, averaging just over 2 points and just under 2 rebounds in 24 starts.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Syracuse Orange #5 Elite White Replica Basketball Jersey