John Calipari's win total changed
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- It turns out Kentucky coach John Calipari hasn't reached 500 career victories after all.
The school says it will change Calipari's career record because of 42 vacated victories from his time at Memphis and Massachusetts. In a statement, Kentucky said it had consulted with the NCAA and determined it was "in error" to have celebrated Calipari's 500th career win against Florida on Feb. 26.
The school says it will report Calipari's career record "consistent with the NCAA's official records and statistics."
The school had debated the issue with the NCAA because Calipari was never found to be at fault for the violations that led to the vacated wins.
Kentucky reached its first Final Four since 1998 under Calipari.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCLA to replace flooded Pauley Pavilion floor
- Giving back: Hill donates $1.25M to Duke
- Ex-PC starter Fortune heading to Colorado
- Mayo leaves Marquette, pursues pro career
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Blue 84 Men's Kentucky Wildcats Final Four Bound 'big Blue Domination' Basketball Blue T-shirt