Men's Basketball Preview 2009-10
"Watching practice at Kansas the day before a game, sitting in the Phog when it's quiet, looking around at all the banners and the empty bleachers and pondering the greats of the game that have walked that floor as I wait for the current Jayhawks to lace 'em up "
For more on what Bilas and his ESPN colleagues can't wait to see this season, click here.
2009-10 SEASON PREVIEW
MORE FROM ESPN
- O'Neil: One now zero as Bradley aims to prove himself
- He's No. 1 in the ESPNU 100, but that's ancient history to Avery Bradley. That's why the highly touted freshman picked zero for his Texas jersey. It offers a fresh start. A chance to prove it.
- Katz: Is this the year for Northwestern?
- Every year since 1939, the NCAA has held a tournament at the end of the season. Not once has Northwestern been invited. Could this finally be the season that concludes with a dance?
- Schlabach: Florida hopes additions, experience pay off in 2009-10
- Florida was on top of the world in 2006 and 2007 when it won consecutive national championships. Rebuilding certainly hasn't been easy for the Gators, but there's reason for optimism this season.
- O'Neil: Indiana's fresh faces offer hope
- Last season, Indiana finished 16th in the country in attendance despite a record of 6-25. Now it's up to a heralded class of newcomers to give those people something to cheer for -- and they seem up to the task.
- O'Neil: All aboard the Calipari bandwagon
- John Calipari hasn't won any games yet with Kentucky. He hasn't made any tournaments or broken any records. But for Wildcat Nation right now, none of that matters.
- Katz: Williams cementing his own legacy
- As the reloaded national champs gear up for practice on a quest to defend their title, the coach of the Tar Heels still just wants to make Dean Smith proud. Roy Williams wouldn't have it any other way.
- Power Rankings
- The Final Four is five months away, but it's never too early to start ranking the contenders.
- Unpredictably Boring
- Sure, No. 1 Kansas is ultra-talented. But there's more to KU than meets the eye.
- Tournament Talk
- It's almost time. Check out the tourney fields lined up for all the early-season events.
- Parker's 30 lead Duke past UNC | Brown
- Gators rout Kentucky, 1st to go 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41, No. 8 Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
- McDermott surpasses 3K | Is Wooden finalist
- No. 10 SDSU caps 16-point rally, wins MWC
- Ekey's 3 lifts Illinois over No. 24 Iowa 66-63
- E. Kentucky upends Belmont for NCAA bid
- Michigan uses late 3-pointer to dash Indiana
- Wichita St. (33-0) rolls Missouri St. | Bennett
- Coin flip gives Cincy top seed in AAC tourney
- Smart move? Iowa St. fans tease star, 'flop'
- L'ville clinches share of AAC title with blowout
- Vols rip Mizzou to boost NCAA tourney hopes
BLUE RIBBON PREVIEWS
CHATS: PREVIEW WEEK
Play Podcast Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg react to the bizarre incident at UC Santa Barbara and speak with bubble-team coaches Phil Martelli and Archie Miller.
Play Podcast After the New Mexico State-Utah Valley brawl, Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg discuss what can be done about court-storming. Also, Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin and VCU's Shaka Smart talk about preparing their teams for March.
Play Podcast Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg react to Jim Boeheim's weekend reaction. Plus, Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan and UNC head coach Roy Williams discuss their seasons.
Play Podcast ESPN CBB analyst Jay Bilas weighs in on whether student-athletes should be paid, the NCAA's model of amateurism and more.
Play Podcast USA Today's Eric Prisbell discusses a link between P.J. Hairston and a convicted felon and how this may impact the North Carolina basketball program.
Play Podcast Villanova coach Jay Wright weighs in on the Celtics' hiring of Brad Stevens, the differences between college basketball and the NBA and more.