Rowland's 17 points lead upset

BERKELEY, Calif. -- E.J. Rowland had 17 points and 12
rebounds, and Saint Mary's defeated cold-shooting California 61-52
on Friday night in the second round of the Coaches vs. Cancer

The Gaels advanced to the semifinals next Thursday at Madison
Square Garden against the winner of the Memphis region. Their
opponent will be either George Mason or No. 24 Memphis, who play
Saturday night.

Jonathan Sanders had 17 points and eight rebounds and Brett
Collins added 15 points for the Gaels (2-0), who won ugly in their
opener Thursday night against Belmont.

On Friday, they came out in a scrappy man-to-man defense to
fluster and outhustle the sloppy Bears. Saint Mary's converted 22
of 26 free throws -- 10-of-12 by Rowland -- shot 41 percent and held
a 38-32 rebounding edge.

Marquise Kately led Cal (1-1) with 24 points and seven rebounds.

After Richard Midgley's baseline jumper pulled Cal within 35-32
with 13:18 left, the Bears missed five straight opportunities to
close the gap despite holding Saint Mary's scoreless for nearly 6

Kately then got Cal as close as 42-38 with 6:11 to go, but the
Bears again missed key shots in the clutch.

The Bears beat UC Riverside 78-61 on Thursday, getting at least
eight points from seven players. The offense wasn't nearly as
balanced Friday, when only four players scored in the first half.
Midgley added 13 points and Ayinde Ubaka had 10.

Both teams were missing their star players.

Cal's Leon Powe, the reigning Pac-10 Freshman of the Year, is
expected to miss the season as he recovers from reconstructive knee

Paul Marigney, the West Coast Conference's leading scoring last
season, is academically ineligible and will miss at least the first
seven games. He could be back Dec. 11 against Hawaii, but his
return might not be until the start of conference play.

The Bears had five turnovers in the first 10 minutes and started
the game 4-for-20 from the field. Cal missed Powe's inside presence
as Saint Mary's aggressively pounded the boards and held the Bears
without a field goal for nearly 10 minutes to take a 29-20 halftime