Elder ties career-high with seven 3s

ATLANTA (AP) -- Georgia Tech waited until its third home game to
unveil a banner commemorating last season's trip to the Final Four.

Good timing.

The fourth-ranked Yellow Jackets finally played like a team that
could win it all, blowing out Michigan 99-68 on Tuesday night in
the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

Georgia Tech (4-0) took control early with a 20-0 run, led by 27
points at halftime and was able to finish the game with a couple of
walk-ons on the court.

B.J. Elder scored 27 points, the bulk of them coming on seven
3-pointers. Will Bynum had 19 points, knocking down three shots
from outside the arc. Jarrett Jack had 16 points and was even more
efficient setting up his teammates, finishing with 11 assists.

"All this year, we've been waiting to come out and make a
statement," Elder said. "Tonight, we came out and established

Before the game, the school put up a banner at Alexander
Memorial Coliseum honoring last season's Final Four team. The
Yellow Jackets lost to Connecticut in the national championship
game at San Antonio.

Jack said he's not concerned with what Georgia Tech did last

"We're trying to focus on the future, not the past," he said.
Still, "going so deep in the tournament last year, that gave us a
cohesiveness you can't coach."

It sure showed in this one.

Georgia Tech took control about 3 minutes in. Elder got the big
run started with a layup, and the Yellow Jackets fed off their
stifling defense to blow out the Wolverines (3-3).

After shooting just 43 percent in its first three games --
failing to make half the shots in any of them -- Georgia Tech shot
54 percent (39-of-72) from the field, including 13-of-23 beyond the

"The thing that I'm more proud of thus far is our defensive
effort," coach Paul Hewitt said. "And now we're starting to hit
shots, and it just raises your defense up to another level. I'm
very optimistic about what this team can do."

Jack and Theodis Tarver also had layups during the spurt, before
Isma'il Muhammad and Elder finished it off with dunks. Michigan
called two timeouts in a futile attempt to prevent things from
getting out of hand.

"Every defense we tried, they seemed to have an answer for,"
Michigan coach Tommy Amaker said. "They shot it from 3, and then
they got layups, and it became a track meet. It was no match for

After John Andrews' basket pulled Michigan to 10-9, the
Wolverines went more than 4½ minutes without scoring. They missed
nine consecutive shots and turned it over twice.

The Yellow Jackets rarely missed, winding up at 60 percent
(24-of-40) in the first half in taking a 59-32 lead.

Elder was unstoppable the entire game, hitting 10 of 12 shots
overall, including 7-of-9 from beyond the arc. He kept working
himself open and had plenty of good looks at the basket thanks to

"It's just a matter of finding the right spots on the floor and
spacing," Elder said. "You have to move out there. If you're
standing still, you're not going to get open. When I was open, I
was knocking shots down."

Georgia Tech had easy home wins against overmatched teams from
Alabama State and Arkansas-Little Rock, but that was sandwiched
around a surprisingly close one-point win at Illinois-Chicago.

Referee Gary Maxwell, who handled the game in Chicago, had a
question as he ran by the Georgia Tech bench late in the game.

"Where was this team last Monday night?" Maxwell asked Hewitt.

Michigan was at its worst. The Wolverines had been respectable
in their first two losses, which included a one-point setback in
overtime to No. 21 Arizona.

Courtney Sims had 17 points for Michigan, which had 18 turnovers
and shot just 41 percent. Amaker was especially disappointed with
guards Daniel Horton and Dion Harris, who combined to shoot
5-of-19, with 10 turnovers and just four assists.

"I thought their floor game was horrendous," Amaker said. "We
aren't going to be a very good team or even have a chance of
competing at the level of the teams we are going to face if those
kids don't play better."

Georgia Tech also got some good news off the court. An MRI
confirmed that touted freshman Jeremis Smith did no additional
damage when he dislocated his right kneecap in last Friday's
victory over Arkansas-Little Rock.

Smith will likely be out 6 to 12 weeks, but the Yellow Jackets
feared the gruesome injury -- which left him sprawled on the court,
screaming in agony -- could have been much worse.