Maryland cruises past Minnesota in second half

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) -- For 20 minutes, Minnesota did virtually
everything right against Maryland (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 23 AP) in the ACC-Big Ten

Shortly after halftime, however, the short-handed Golden Gophers
relinquished the lead. Not long after that, they lost their coach.

Travis Garrison had 18 points and 10 rebounds, and Maryland
overwhelmed injury-riddled Minnesota in the second half en route to
an 83-66 victory Wednesday night.

Nik Caner-Medley scored 16 points, and Mike Jones and D.J.
Strawberry had 14 apiece for the Terrapins (5-1), who trailed by 15
in the early going and by six at halftime.

"I thought we had a great stretch of basketball early in the
second half. We played well enough to keep the lead," Maryland
coach Gary Williams said. "Hopefully this is the start of becoming
a good basketball team."

Maryland outscored the Golden Gophers 47-24 in a second half
that featured the ejection of Minnesota coach Dan Monson.

"They just got at us in the beginning," Garrison said, "but
we picked it up. The defense changed. We got more aggressive."

Dan Coleman led the Gophers (2-2) with 16 points, and Adam Boone
and J'son Stamper each scored 13.

Minnesota was without injured guards Vincent Grier, Ryan
Saunders and Kevin Payton. In addition, starting guard Maurice
Hargrow left with a leg injury after playing just nine minutes.

"For having four guards out in a game that you need guards to
make decisions, I thought Adam Boone did a great job on the one-man
press break," Monson said. "I was proud of our guys, taking the
game plan and implementing it. It wasn't for as long as I wanted,
but at least coach Williams had to break a sweat for a while."

Maryland opened the second half with a 15-1 run that made it
51-43 and brought about Monson's early exit.

After Strawberry tied it with a layup, the junior guard added a
three-point play to give the Terrapins their first lead, 46-43.
Strawberry then deflected the inbounds pass to Garrison, who sank a

That caused Monson to storm to midcourt while signaling for a
30-second timeout. He proceeded to pull off his jacket and throw it
angrily to the floor, a demonstration that earned him a pair of
technical fouls.

"I tell my team you have to fight, but you have to do it with
composure," Monson said. "I apologized to the three officials
after the game and to my team. I feel like when they needed me to
fight the most, I wasn't there.

"Getting kicked out of a game is a first for me, and hopefully
a last."

Chris McCray made three of the four foul shots after Monson was
escorted from the floor.

Minnesota closed to 56-50 before Jones had a dunk and running
jumper in an 11-0 spree that gave Maryland a 17-point cushion with
10:45 left.

"We had more healthy bodies than they did, and it was probably
going to be a factor in the second half," Williams said.

The Gophers outrebounded Maryland 21-8 and got nine points
apiece from Coleman and Spencer Tollackson in taking a 42-36 lead
at halftime.

Minnesota went 8-for-13 from the floor in the opening 10 minutes
and used a 17-2 run to go up 23-8. Boone capped the run with two
straight 3-pointers, including a bank shot from 22 feet as the shot
clock expired.

The Terrapins, meanwhile, missed 10 of their first 13 field-goal
tries and were outrebounded 12-3.

Jones then scored eight points in a 10-3 spurt that got Maryland
to 26-18, and minutes later Caner-Medley hit a 3-pointer and a
layup in succession to cut the margin to five against a depleted
team coming off a home loss to Gardner-Webb.

"Just to get that thing to six at halftime took a lot of
effort," Williams said. "I've seen that before. You're almost in
a trap in a situation, where their best scorer [Grier] doesn't
play, they lose a game probably everybody in Minnesota thought they
should have won. ... Good teams come back after a situation like
that, and we happened to be the next game."