Oklahoma St 66

(15-14, 5-10 Big 12)

(19) Oklahoma 67

(20-6, 11-4 Big 12)

9:00 PM ET, February 27, 2006

Lloyd Noble Center, Norman, Oklahoma

1 2 T
OKST 31 3566
#19OKLA 30 3767

Top Performers

Oklahoma St: M. Boggan 21 Pts, 5 Reb

Oklahoma: T. Gray 19 Pts, 7 Reb, 2 Stl, 2 Blk

Sooners win school-record fourth straight one-point game

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Even after three straight one-point wins, Oklahoma still had some "Sooner Magic."

Terrell Everett made two free throws with 0.6 seconds left to give Oklahoma (No. 17 ESPN/USA Today, No. 19 AP) its fourth one-point victory in as many games, 67-66 over Oklahoma State on Monday night.

After Jamaal Brown had given the Cowboys (15-14, 5-10 Big 12) a one-point lead with two free throws with 4.7 seconds left, Everett dribbled up the left sideline and collided with Byron Eaton, who was called for a foul.

"I was just trying to get past him and he jumped in front of me," Everett said.

Everett, who played the final 12:43 with four fouls, stepped to the line and hit both free throws, sending an already standing sellout crowd into a frenzy.

"In that situation, you've got to keep the ball in front the best you can and make them throw up a desperation shot," said Sean Sutton, who has taken over as Oklahoma State coach while his father, Eddie Sutton, is on a medical leave of absence.

"I think Byron felt like Terrell was not going to get it up and he was going to drive it hard because he's their best playmaker. He tried to get in position to force him the basketball, and that's what happened."

Michael Neal of Oklahoma knocked the final inbounds pass to Everett, and the Sooners (20-6, 11-4) celebrated by huddling and hopping at halfcourt, then slapping hands with fans in the front row.

Each team took the lead twice in the final minute.

Eaton beat the shot clock with a tiebreaking 3-pointer from about 26 feet to put Oklahoma State up 64-61 with 34 seconds left. The Sooners got a quick basket from Taj Gray at the other end before JamesOn Curry missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 14 seconds left.

Kevin Bookout put Oklahoma into the lead with a two-handed jam with 8.8 seconds to play, but he missed the free throw that would have completed the three-point play. Nate Carter of the Sooners backtapped the rebound, but Brown grabbed it and raced down court before getting fouled by Neal.

"That was a perfect pass for a layup," Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson said of Carter's rebound. "It was one of those nights where plays like that were happening all night long. That's why they call it Bedlam."

Brown hit both his foul shots with 4.7 seconds remaining, but that left too much time for an Oklahoma team that had already won three straight one-point games for the first time. Before the current stretch, Oklahoma had never won more than two games in a row by one point.

But Everett provided a little more "Sooner Magic" -- a term coined originally after a series of dramatic comebacks by the school's football team in the 1970s.

"That call could have could have went either way," Sampson said. "Sometimes you've just got to have a break."

Sutton was upset with the call.

"There was a long pause," Sutton said. "I wasn't sure what he was going to call. I'll probably get reprimanded for this, but I believe that in games like this, officials ought to have to come in and answer questions and let you guys ask them what they saw."

Addressing the crowd on senior night, Sampson said he loved Gray and Bookout, "but right now I'm loving Terrell just a little bit more."

Gray led Oklahoma with 19 points and seven rebounds; Bookout had 14 points and Everett added 13.

Mario Boggan led Oklahoma State with 21 points, but he fouled out with 5:31 left. Eaton had 11 points and seven steals and Curry had 10 points, all in the first half.

The Cowboys were playing their first game against Oklahoma without Eddie Sutton since March 3, 1990. Sutton, who was involved in a car accident Feb. 10 and has been charged with aggravated drunk driving, speeding and crossing the center line, remained hospitalized following back surgery last week. He is on a medical leave of absence for the rest of the season.

Oklahoma State used a seven-point run to move ahead 42-36 early in the second half. Boggan had two baskets during the spurt and Brown hit two free throws, but more important drew the fourth foul on Everett when he streaked to the basket for a layup after a steal by Marcus Dove.

Everett, who led Oklahoma with 23 points in the first meeting this season, went to the bench with 16:10 left and the Cowboys quickly expanded their two-point lead to 46-38.

Everett returned after only 3½ minutes and his aggressive play helped pull the Sooners back within two points before two turnovers helped the Cowboys to their biggest lead of the game.

"We just had to roll the dice and keep Terrell in there," Sampson said.

Dove drove a wide-open lane for a layup that led to a three-point play, then had consecutive steals that paving the way for a two-handed dunk by Boggan and his own fast-break layup, giving Oklahoma State a 57-48 lead.

Oklahoma charged back with an 11-2 run. Everett tied the game at 59 with a 3-pointer from the left wing.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press


Team Stat Comparison

Points 66 67
FG Made-Attempted 27-52 (.519) 23-46 (.500)
3P Made-Attempted 5-11 (.455) 2-8 (.250)
FT Made-Attempted 7-11 (.636) 19-24 (.792)
Fouls (Tech/Flagrant) 23 (0/0) 15 (0/0)
Largest Lead 9 7

2005-06 Season

Feb 8, 2006 OKLA 73, @OKST 65Recap
» Feb 27, 2006 @OKLA 67, OKST 66Recap