9:00 PM ET, March 14, 2009
Madison Square Garden, New York, New York
Louisville completes conference sweep with Big East tournament crown
NEW YORK -- Louisville's first Big East championship will be remembered as well for its runner-up's overtime work.The fifth-ranked Cardinals swept the league's titles, beating Syracuse (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 18 AP) 76-66 on Saturday night in the title game to add to their regular season championship and end the Orange's run in regulation.
• After trailing at the half by eight, Louisville used a 20-3 second-half run to grab its first Big East tournament title.
• All five starters scored in double-figures for Louisville, including a team-high 15 points from freshman Samardo Samuels.
• The Cardinals became just the third No. 1 seed to win the Big East tournament (BC in 2001 and Georgetown in '07).
• Syracuse has played in a record 14 Big East finals and was trying to earn its first title since 2006.
• Eric Devendorf had a game-high 20 points for the Orange and set a conference record for most points in a single tournament with 84.
• Jonny Flynn set a record with 37 assists in the tournament (mark Jackson had 36 in 1986).
-- ESPN research
All Tapped Out
Syracuse finally ran out of gas in the second half of Saturday's Big East championship game against Louisville. The Orange's scoring output, field-goal percentage, and free-throw shooting all took a noticeable hit in the deciding period. Here's a look:
|1st Half||2nd Half|
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||27-60 (.450)||26-54 (.481)|
|3P Made-Attempted||5-18 (.278)||10-28 (.357)|
|FT Made-Attempted||7-14 (.500)||14-21 (.667)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||18 (0/0)||15 (0/0)|
Next 5 Games
ACC Conference Standings
|TEAM||CONF W-L||TOTAL W-L|
|#1 North Carolina||13-3||28-4|
|#9 Wake Forest||11-5||24-6|
|#22 Florida State||10-6||25-9|
|North Carolina State||6-10||16-14|
|View expanded standings »|