8:10 PM ET, March 21, 2009
Moda Center, Portland, Oregon
Gonzaga banks in game winner with 0.9 second left to knock out W. Kentucky
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Gonzaga's rowdy celebration spilled into the locker room, where the team watched a replay of freshman Demetri Goodson's game-winner and got to cheer again and again.
• Gonzaga guard Demetri Goodson went the length of the court and made the game-winning layup with 0.9 seconds left, extending the Bulldogs winning streak to 11.
• The Bulldogs advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2006 and the fourth time under Coach Mark Few.
• Gonzaga had five players score in double figures and were led by Matt Bouldin's 21 points, his fifth 20 point game this season.
• Western Kentucky scored seven straight points to tie the game at 81 with 9 seconds left before succumbing to Gonzaga.
• The Hilltoppers shot 52.5 percent for the game, including 12 of 25 from three-point range. Orlando Mendez-Valdez scored 25 points, including 17 of the teams first 21 points, but had only eight points in the final 30 minutes.
-- ESPN research
Miller: Thrilling finish
Gonzaga fans will celebrate Demetri Goodson for years to come with the reverence reserved for players who produced those unique and shining moments of clutch, writes Ted Miller. Story
Orlando Mendez-Valdez and his fellow backcourt starter A.J. Slaughter combined for 28 of the Hilltoppers 37 first-half points, while the rest of the lineup shot 33 percent from three-point range and 18 percent from the free-throw line.
|Backcourt||Rest of Team|
NCAA Mens Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||32-62 (.516)||30-60 (.500)|
|3P Made-Attempted||12-25 (.480)||9-21 (.429)|
|FT Made-Attempted||5-14 (.357)||14-19 (.737)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||20 (0/0)||12 (0/0)|
|» Mar 21, 2009||@GONZ 83, WKU 81||Recap|