2:20 PM ET, March 29, 2009
Michigan State squeezes life out of Louisville for spot in Final Four
INDIANAPOLIS -- Even before Michigan State's first game of the season, coach Tom Izzo gathered his players and spelled out their goal."Ford Field," he wrote on a dry-erase board.That part of the Motown mission is now complete.The Spartans gave the Final Four a hometown feel, stopping overall No. 1 seed Louisville 64-52 Sunday to win the Midwest Regional.Goran Suton had 19 points and 10 rebounds as the second-seeded Spartans (30-6) played the pace game to perfection and reached their fifth Final Four in 11 years -- the most trips of any team in the nation during that span.
• In a dominating performance, Michigan State is headed to the Final Four for the fifth time under head coach Tom Izzo.
• The Spartans became the first team to play a Final Four in their home state since Duke in 1994 (Charlotte).
• They improved to 9-0 as a No. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.
• The 52 points were the second-fewest in a game for Louisville this season, marking the fifth time the Cardinals have failed to score 60 points in a game. They lost all five.
• Sunday's loss marked the second straight year Louisville's season has ended in the Elite Eight.
• The Cardinals made only one basket in the final 5:18 and shot just 38.3 percent from the field for the game.
-- ESPN research
Sweet-shooting big man Goran Suton will give Spartans a shot vs. UConn. Story
Forde: MSU Homebound
Tom Izzo has already accomplished plenty in his career, but Michigan State's win over Louisville might be his best work, writes Pat Forde. Story
Louisville, the No. 1 overall seed in this year's tournament, was limited to 52 points in Sunday's regional final loss. The Cardinals' poor point production marked the fourth-lowest effort by a top seed in an Elite Eight loss since 1979.
|'09 Louisville||52||Michigan St.|
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||24-52 (.462)||18-47 (.383)|
|3P Made-Attempted||8-16 (.500)||6-16 (.375)|
|FT Made-Attempted||8-11 (.727)||10-18 (.556)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||22 (0/0)||15 (0/0)|
|» Mar 29, 2009||MSU 64, @LOU 52||Recap|