9:18 PM ET, April 4, 2009
Ford Field, Detroit, MI
DETROIT -- Men vs. boys. Big brother vs. little brother. Future pros against a bunch of good college kids.That summed up North Carolina's 83-69 victory over Villanova on Saturday night. The ultra-talented Tar Heels simply never gave the Wildcats a chance to breathe, let alone whip up a fresh dose of Final Four magic.
Tarred And Feathered
North Carolina has won all five of its NCAA tournament games in 2009 by 10 points or more, making them just the third team since 1985 to accomplish the feat. Here's a look at the list:
|North Carolina||2009||Michigan State||?|
|Duke||2001||Arizona||Won by 10|
|Michigan State||2000||Florida||Won by 13|
More Content on ESPN.comThey couldn't hit their free throws, missed plenty of shots and were beaten on the boards and even on the fast break. Who cares? The ultra-talented Tar Heels won by 14 anyway. Now UNC sits one win away from what some saw as inevitable back in the fall.
• Insider Intel: Both teams rely on up tempo offenses, but has MSU mastered what UNC has been preaching all season? Story
• The Tar Heels advanced to their ninth championship game, posting a 4-4 record in the previous eight.
• Tyler Hansbrough scored 18 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, becoming the sixth-leading scorer all-time in NCAA tournament history (307 points).
• The Carolina backcourt of Ty Lawson (22) and Wayne Ellington (20) combined for 42 points and 12 assists.
• Villanova made just 5-of-27 3-pointers and shot 32.9 percent for the game.
• The win was UNC's 101st in the NCAA tournament -- the most all-time.
-- ESPN Stats and Information
NCAA Mens Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||26-79 (.329)||25-62 (.403)|
|3P Made-Attempted||5-27 (.185)||11-22 (.500)|
|FT Made-Attempted||12-16 (.750)||22-37 (.595)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||26 (0/0)||20 (0/0)|
|» Apr 4, 2009||@UNC 83, VILL 69||Recap|