4:30 PM ET, January 10, 2010
Thompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville, TN
Walk-on McBee hits late 3-pointer as No. 15 Tennessee stuns No. 1 Kansas
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- The loss of four key players helped Tennessee come together as a team. Now No. 1 Kansas is looking to do the same after failing to survive the second of two close games.Scotty Hopson had 17 points and Tennessee (No. 15 ESPN/USA Today, No. 16 AP), with a lineup thinned by suspensions, dismissals and injuries, handed Kansas its first loss of the season, 76-68 on Sunday night.
Bennett: Vols Show Chemistry
Tennessee's patchwork lineup of walk-ons and unknowns outplayed the best team in the nation, writes Brian Bennett. Story
• Scotty Hopson had 17 points and Bobby Maze had 16 points, seven rebounds and eight assists as Tennessee, playing with only six scholarship players, defeated the top-ranked team in the nation.
• The last time the Vols played a No. 1 team was a 66-62 win over Memphis in February 2008.
• Tennessee improved to 4-10 against top-ranked teams in the AP Poll all-time and 2-2 under Bruce Pearl. The Vols have won three of their last four games against Top-5 teams.
• Sherron Collins scored 22 points for Kansas but was just 7 for 20 from the field.
• The Jayhawks shot 37 percent and allowed the Vols to shoot 48 percent. Prior to Sunday, Kansas held opponents to less than 40 percent shooting in 12 of 14 games.
• Kansas became the fifth Top-10 team to lose this weekend. Only two undefeated teams remain: No. 2 Texas and No. 3 Kentucky.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||23-61 (.377)||26-54 (.481)|
|3P Made-Attempted||7-27 (.259)||9-18 (.500)|
|FT Made-Attempted||15-21 (.714)||15-29 (.517)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||23 (0/0)||20 (0/0)|
|» Jan 10, 2010||@TENN 76, KU 68||Recap|