12:00 PM ET, February 21, 2010
Petersen Events Center, Pittsburgh, PA
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh controlled the tempo and the offensive rebounding to hand No. 3 Villanova its second consecutive loss.Ashton Gibbs scored 21 points, Gilbert Brown added 16 and Gary McGhee's 10 rebounds led the Panthers (No. 21 ESPN/USA Today, No. 19 AP) to the upset of the Wildcats 70-65 on Sunday.
O'Neil: Past Is History
Pittsburgh's victory over Villanova doesn't erase last season's Elite Eight loss, but it does help the Panthers this season, writes Dana O'Neil. Story
• Pittsburgh won its seventh straight home game against a team ranked in the top five of the AP poll as Ashton Gibbs led all scorers with 21 points.
• Gibbs, who scored a season-low two points in his previous game, has reached the 20-point mark in three of his last four games.
• The Panthers shot 35.1 percent from the field, their second-lowest in a win this season. Pitt improved to 36-1 in its last 37 home games.
• Villanova has lost two straight, its first losing streak since the 2007-08 season. The Wildcats have lost three of their last five games after a 20-1 start to the season.
• Villanova's Scottie Reynolds scored 20 points and is averaging 21 points over his last five games.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
PITTSBURGH - FEBRUARY 21: Head coach Jay Wright of the University of Villanova Wildcats reacts after being given...(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||24-53 (.453)||20-57 (.351)|
|3P Made-Attempted||6-14 (.429)||4-12 (.333)|
|FT Made-Attempted||11-16 (.688)||26-34 (.765)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||26 (1/0)||18 (0/0)|
|» Feb 21, 2010||@PITT 70, VILL 65||Recap|
Next 5 Games
Big East Conference Standings
|TEAM||CONF W-L||TOTAL W-L|
|#8 West Virginia||13-5||27-6|
|View expanded standings »|