5:40 PM ET, March 20, 2010
Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Northern Iowa shocks top-seeded Kansas, secures first Sweet 16 appearance
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Leading by one against the colossus of the bracket, Ali Farokhmanesh stood at the 3-point line, no one around. The prudent play? Pull it out, burn some clock.Not a chance.Taking his shot at history, Farokhmanesh let fly from the wing.
• Kansas is the first No.1 seed to lose before the Sweet 16 since Kentucky and Stanford both accomplished the feat in 2004.
• Only once has the No. 1 overall seed (highest rated of the four top seeds) won the national title (Florida in 2007).
• It's the 13th time a No. 1 seed of any kind has lost in the second round, and third time it has happened to the Jayhawks.
• Northern Iowa is the first Missouri Valley tournament champion to reach the Sweet 16 since Indiana State in 1979. The Sycamores, led by Larry Bird, eventually went on to play in the national championship game against Michigan State.
• The Panthers also became the first MVC team since 1962 to defeat a top-ranked opponent (Kansas finished the season ranked No. 1 in both polls).
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Get an early look at next round with Insider's Instant Analysis on how Northern Iowa can keep marching straight to the Final Four. Analysis
NCAA Mens Tournament
OKLAHOMA CITY - MARCH 20: Cole Aldrich #45 of the Kansas Jayhawks looks to move the ball in the post against...(Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||22-55 (.400)||24-54 (.444)|
|3P Made-Attempted||9-26 (.346)||6-23 (.261)|
|FT Made-Attempted||16-19 (.842)||13-18 (.722)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||16 (0/0)||19 (0/0)|
|» Mar 20, 2010||UNI 69, @KU 67||Recap|