12:10 PM ET, March 21, 2010
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Wes Johnson wasn't so unselfish for a change, and Gonzaga paid dearly.The Big East player of the year, who often defers to his teammates despite his considerable all-around talent, scored a career-high 31 points and pulled down 14 rebounds as top-seeded Syracuse hit a dozen 3-pointers to stun the Zags 87-65 on Sunday in the second round of the NCAA tournament.
• Syracuse advanced to back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances for the first time since 2003-04 behind 31 points by Wesley Johnson. The total was a career high for Johnson and the first time an Orange player put up 30-plus points in an NCAA tournament game since Gerry McNamara scored 43 against BYU in 2004.
• The 22-point margin of victory was the third-largest by Syracuse in the tournament since 1990.
• Gonzaga has failed to make it to the Sweet 16 in seven of its last nine nine NCAA tournament appearances.
• The only other Big East team to eliminate Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament was Connecticut back in 1999. The Huskies were also a No. 1 seed in the West Region that season and went on to win the national championship.
• Elias Harris scored 24 points in the loss, his highest total since Jan. 14. The Bulldogs fell to 0-5 all-time against No. 1 seeded schools in the NCAA tournament.
-- ESPN research
NCAA Mens Tournament
BUFFALO, NY - MARCH 21: Trainer Ryan Cabiles works on Wes Johnson #4 of the Syracuse Orange before his game...(Photo by Rick Stewart/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||25-60 (.417)||29-53 (.547)|
|3P Made-Attempted||3-21 (.143)||12-25 (.480)|
|FT Made-Attempted||12-20 (.600)||17-23 (.739)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||18 (0/0)||17 (0/0)|
|» Mar 21, 2010||@SYR 87, GONZ 65||Recap|