8:00 PM ET, December 17, 2010
Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte, North Carolina
Late layup helps Charlotte become latest team to shock No. 7 Tennessee
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- In one week, No. 7 Tennessee has followed one of the most impressive wins of the college basketball season with two clunkers full of missed shots and late-game breakdowns.The woes allowed struggling Charlotte to give first-year coach Alan Major his first signature win.Three days after top scorer Shamari Spears was kicked off the team, Charlotte dressed eight scholarship players and closed on a 7-0 run, with Derrio Green feeding an open Phil Jones for the go-ahead layup with 7.4 seconds left in a stunning 49-48 victory Friday night over the sputtering Volunteers.
• After starting the season 7-0, Tennessee has lost its last two games to unranked teams.
• This time it was on the road, where the Volunteers have lost four of their past five nonconference games.
• Tennessee has lost consecutive games to unranked teams for the first time since the final two games of the 2008-09 season.
• The Volunteers' 48 points are the third-fewest scored in a nonconference game over the past 15 seasons.
• Charlotte won its first game against a top 10 team since beating No. 9 Louisville on Feb. 12, 2004, and has won four of its past six against ranked teams.
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||22-63 (.349)||16-53 (.302)|
|3P Made-Attempted||2-17 (.118)||5-19 (.263)|
|FT Made-Attempted||2-7 (.286)||12-13 (.923)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||14 (0/0)||11 (0/0)|
|» Dec 17, 2010||@CHAR 49, TENN 48||Recap|
Next 5 Games
Things were really looking up for Tennessee at the beginning of the week. They had just moved up the 7th in the nation after a 3-game stretch saw them knock off Villanova and Pittsburgh, who were each ranked in the top 10... but since the beginning of this week, the Vols have come crashing back to Earth, losing games to Oakland and Charlotte:[+]
Knocks-Ville - Tennessee Since Thanksgiving
ESPN Stats & Information