12:00 PM ET, January 22, 2011
Carrier Dome, Syracuse, New York
Wildcats jump out early, hang on late to hand Orange 2nd straight loss
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- The formula is simple: Hit from outside and you can give a zone defense fits, even Jim Boeheim's vaunted 2-3 at Syracuse. Need a blueprint for success? Consult Villanova coach Jay Wright and his Wildcats.Guards Maalik Wayns and Corey Fisher combined to hit 6 of 7 shots from beyond the arc in the first half, giving No. 7 Villanova a big lead, and the Wildcats held on to beat third-ranked Syracuse 83-72 in a raucous Carrier Dome on Saturday.
Who's the No. 1 contender?
Ohio State has emerged as the unquestioned No. 1. But if we learned anything Saturday, it's that the national title contender race is wide open, writes Eamonn Brennan. Blog
• Villanova has won eight of its past 11 meetings with Syracuse dating back to 2006, with four wins coming at the Carrier Dome.
• Villanova made a season-best 11 3-pointers in the win, shooting 45.8 percent (11 for 24) from 3-point range.
• Maalik Wayns led Villanova with 21 points, his second 20-point game in his past three games. He had one 20-point game in his first 16 games of the season.
• After winning its first 18 games of the season, Syracuse has lost two in a row. It lost back-to-back games once last season.
• After missing the loss to Pittsburgh, Syracuse's Kris Joseph led all scorers with 23 points, 16 in the second half.
• Rick Jackson had his fourth straight double-double and 13th this season.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||25-50 (.500)||27-62 (.435)|
|3P Made-Attempted||11-24 (.458)||10-26 (.385)|
|FT Made-Attempted||22-24 (.917)||8-12 (.667)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||10 (0/0)||19 (0/0)|
Next 5 Games
Syracuse entered Saturday's game allowing opponents to shoot just 28.4 percent from beyond the 3-pt line, which ranked 10th in the nation. Villanova made 45.8 percent (11-24) of its 3-pt shots on Saturday. That's the highest 3-pt field goal percentage allowed by Syracuse since... ...Villanova hit 46.7 percent (7-15) of its 3-pt FG on February 22, 2009 in an 89-86 win over the Orange.
ESPN Stats & Information