7:00 PM ET, February 3, 2011
Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio
Top-ranked Ohio State fights off rival Michigan to improve to 23-0
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- It's beginning to look more and more as if Ohio State isn't a typical team and center Jared Sullinger isn't a typical freshman.Sullinger hammered away inside for 19 points and 15 rebounds and No. 1 Ohio State came back from a sluggish half to beat Michigan 62-53 Thursday night, helping the Buckeyes open with 23 wins for the second time in school history."Sullinger is a freshman, but he's a very unusual freshman," Michigan coach John Beilein said.
• The Buckeyes have won 23 straight games, the second-longest win streak in school history.
• Ohio State has won 13 of the past 15 meetings with Michigan.
• The Buckeyes had a big advantage at the free throw line, making 15 of 25 attempts, while the Wolverines were just 1 of 4.
• Jared Sullinger led Ohio State with 19 points and 15 rebounds for his 10th double-double of the season.
• Michigan is now 1-22 all-time against No. 1 teams.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||23-55 (.418)||21-47 (.447)|
|3P Made-Attempted||6-19 (.316)||5-15 (.333)|
|FT Made-Attempted||1-4 (.250)||15-25 (.600)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||23 (0/0)||11 (0/0)|
Next 5 Games
Big Ten Conference Standings
Of the teams with the 5 longest current win streaks in Division I men's basketball, 3 were in action on Thursday night, with all 3 schools - Ohio State, Coastal Carolina & Oakland - extending their streaks with victories.[+]
Longest Active Winning Streaks - NCAA Division I Men's Basketball
ESPN Stats & Information