6:00 PM ET, February 12, 2011
Marriott Center, Provo, Utah
PROVO, Utah -- BYU pulled away from rival Utah thanks to Jimmer Fredette and a surprise star.Fredette scored 23 points, fill-in starter Charles Abouo added 22 and the Cougars (No. 8 ESPN/USA Today, No. 7 AP) beat Utah 72-59 on Saturday in their final regular-season meeting as Mountain West Conference foes.Fredette, who leads the nation in scoring, had 17 points in the final 9 minutes and 12 in a row to help the Cougars (24-2, 10-1 MWC) take control after the game was tied at 48. He finished 6 of 19 from the field.
• Jimmer Fredette scored 15 of his 23 points in the second half. He topped the 20-point mark for the eleventh straight game and the 17th time in the last 18 games.
• BYU broke open the game with a 14-0 run that turned a 48-48 tie with 9:49 remaining into a 62-48 Cougars advantage with 6:06 left. Fredette scored 12 of the 14 points.
• BYU swept the season series with Utah with its eighth win in the teams' last nine meetings.
• Fredette broke the school record for most wins played in, earning his 104th win at BYU.
• Utah lost its fifth straight game.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||25-57 (.439)||24-55 (.436)|
|3P Made-Attempted||5-19 (.263)||4-12 (.333)|
|FT Made-Attempted||4-8 (.500)||20-24 (.833)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||20 (0/0)||14 (0/0)|