4:00 PM ET, March 5, 2011
Petersen Events Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
PITTSBURGH -- Reeling Villanova figured its best chance for an upset at Pittsburgh was to slow down the game.It just wasn't enough, not with the Panthers on the brink of the Big East championship.Ashton Gibbs had 18 points and Pittsburgh (No. 5 ESPN/USA Today, No. 4 AP) clinched the outright conference title, using a big second half to beat No. 19 Villanova 60-50 on Saturday.
• Pittsburgh swept the season series with Villanova, keeping the Wildcats winless in four games all-time at the Petersen Events Center.
• Villanova has lost four straight games and six of its past eight.
• The win gave Pittsburgh the Big East regular-season title and the top seed in the conference tournament. It's the first time since 2004 the Panthers have entered the tournament as the No. 1 seed and the third time in school history.
• Pitt's 15th Big East win tied the school record set in the 2008-09 season.
• With nine points, Gilbert Brown pushed his career total to 1,004, becoming the 40th player in Pitt history to reach the 1,000 mark.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||19-51 (.373)||17-41 (.415)|
|3P Made-Attempted||7-22 (.318)||3-9 (.333)|
|FT Made-Attempted||5-10 (.500)||23-26 (.885)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||21 (0/0)||15 (0/0)|