2:58 PM ET, March 18, 2011
Bank of Oklahoma Center, Tulsa, OK
Derrick Williams' late block helps Arizona end upset bid from Memphis
TULSA, Okla. -- Derrick Williams nearly took his many skills to Memphis. Instead, the Pac-10's player of the year used them against the Tigers in the NCAA tournament.Williams hit a late 3-pointer to finish with 22 points and 10 rebounds for Arizona, then blocked a potential tying shot in the final seconds to seal a 77-75 win on Friday."It's as if he's playing in his backyard," Wildcats coach Sean Miller said. "He just has a way of making big plays and finishing the other team off. He did it here again tonight."
• Derrick Williams recorded his 12th double-double of the season (22 points, 10 rebounds) and blocked a potential tying shot with 3 seconds left to help Arizona advance to play Texas.
• The Wildcats have won five of their past six and 13 of 16 games overall.
• Arizona coach Sean Miller improved to 7-4 in the NCAA tournament (6-4 with Xavier).
• The Barton brothers, Antonio and Will, paced the scoring for the Tigers with 17 and 12 points, respectively.
• The loss snapped Memphis' streak of reaching the Sweet 16 at four. The loss also ended the Tigers' four-game winning streak.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
NCAA Mens Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||26-53 (.491)||23-50 (.460)|
|3P Made-Attempted||6-15 (.400)||5-19 (.263)|
|FT Made-Attempted||17-24 (.708)||26-31 (.839)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||24 (0/0)||21 (0/0)|
|» Mar 18, 2011||@ARIZ 77, MEM 75||Recap|