Irish receive 45,589 requests for Fiesta Bowl tickets
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame has received 45,589 ticket requests for the Jan. 2 Fiesta Bowl game against Ohio State and school officials believe they've never had more.
John Heisler, senior associate athletic director, said the school doesn't keep records for ticket demand. But the Fighting Irish have played in 26 bowls and no one can remember such demand.
By comparison, when the Irish went to the Fiesta Bowl following the 2000 season, the school received 22,000 ticket requests.
Fewer than 12,500 tickets are available for alumni, season ticket holders, students' parents, faculty and staff. The school was allotted 15,000 tickets, and 2,500 were sold to students last week. Some of the tickets also will go to university officials.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Source: Michigan to announce Harbaugh hire
- FSU's Winston says perception of him wrong
- RB Johnson leaving Miami, will enter draft
- Gophers dismiss WR Jones for rules violation
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Harbaugh To Michigan
- Jim Harbaugh has moved on by agreeing to become Michigan's next coach a day after parting ways with the 49ers, a source told Adam Schefter.