Bush calls, congratulates Texas coach Brown
WASHINGTON -- President Bush on Thursday called Texas coach Mack Brown to congratulate the Longhorns on their dramatic Rose Bowl win.
"Congratulations on a wonderful moment," he said, according to press secretary Scott McClellan. "Tell the team congratulations, we're proud of them."
Brown got an early wake-up call from the president after a late night.
"You know your life is different when the first call you receive is from President Bush at 6 in the morning, and my wife Sally asks me, 'Can you take it,'" Brown said at a news conference in Beverly Hills, Calif.
Vince Young scrambled for an 8-yard touchdown with 19 seconds left and the Longhorns beat top-ranked USC 41-38 on Wednesday night, winning their first national championship since 1970.
The president apparently fell asleep during the game but woke up in time for the exciting ending.
McClellan said Bush wished Brown and the Longhorns all the best and said that he looked forward to having them visit the White House soon.
Bush is a former Texas governor. His daughter Jenna is a UT graduate.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
COMING UP ROSES
• Texas denies USC three-peat bid
• Forde: Holy Mack-erel
• Maisel: Vincent classic
• Wojciechowski: History lesson
• Feldman: No doubt
• Maisel: UT basks in title glow
• Kiper: Young No. 1?
• Schad: Life after the bowl
• Feldman: So wrong
• Forde: Top 25 for '06
• Wheaties to feature Longhorns
• All-time No. 1 vs. No. 2
• Bush, White fall just short of history
• Leinart's near-perfect second half not enough
• Highest ratings since '87
• UT students celebrate championship
• President congratulates Brown
• Longhorns will be on Wheaties cover
• Title celebration scheduled for Sunday
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nike Men's Texas Longhorns White 'longhorn State' Local Characteristic T-shirt