Vols' Smith academically ineligible, can't play in bowl
TAMPA, Fla. -- Tennessee wide receiver Bret Smith has been declared academically ineligible to play in the Outback Bowl on Monday against Penn State.
"After examining further Bret's academic performance this semester, the institution determined that he is not eligible to participate in the bowl game," UT athletics director Mike Hamilton said Saturday.
"The University of Tennessee has strong academic programs, and we want our student-athletes to achieve great things in the classroom as well as on the field."
Head coach Phillip Fulmer said he's disappointed Smith won't play.
"However, our academic processes are important to us all, and we will follow academic procedures and err on the side of caution," Fulmer said.
A senior, Smith had a career-high 39 catches, 453 yards and five touchdowns this season.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- FSU's Winston adds All-American to resume
- Saban: Kiffin visit 'professional development'
- Clowney says he's healthy, ready to move on
- Spartans' Dantonio shrugs off rumor mill
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Tennessee Volunteers #14 Tennessee Orange Replica Football Jersey