Warriors Know their competition will be physical
Hawaii coach June Jones is worried about his defense's ability to tackle Georgia freshman tailback Knowshon Moreno.
"It's going to be an unbelievable challenge," Jones said Monday. "We do have a front seven that's pretty good. The biggest concern I have is when he breaks through the front seven, whether we're physical enough to bring him down."
Moreno, who began the season behind seniors Thomas Brown and Kregg Lumpkin, broke out in the second half of the season with five consecutive 100-yard games, including 188 yards against Florida. He finished the regular season with 1,273 yards.
"The offensive line is also young," Jones said of Georgia, referring to the three freshmen starters blocking for Moreno. "When they play together for two, three, four years, man, it's going to be something else to watch."
Richt remembers multitasking difficultiesSomeone politely asked Georgia coach Mark Richt about the difficulty of being a new head coach while serving as a lame-duck offensive coordinator. He tried it in 2000, when he put off the Bulldogs long enough to remain with Florida State while it played for the national championship in the Orange Bowl.
Or, as Richt put it Monday, "You're talking about the Oklahoma game when we didn't score any points?"
The offense didn't score. The Seminoles lost to the Sooners, 13-2. Richt laughed as he stripped the question down to its core.
"My plan was to concentrate solely on Florida State until about 5:00," Richt said. "After dinner, I was going to try to do some Georgia work. But you get a couple of calls, maybe a discipline issue of a kid you never met before. The thing I learned before anything else was I wasn't very good at multitasking."
On the other hand, Richt said, he couldn't say no. Florida State coach Bobby Bowden asked him to stay. "Even if I felt I shouldn't, I'm staying," Richt said.
Richt's tale doesn't bode well for Tennessee in the Outback Bowl against Wisconsin. Volunteers offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe already has been hired as head coach at Duke.
Mature Brennan settles into roleA lot has been written about the fall and rise of Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan. But his coach discussed an aspect of Brennan's maturation on the field that probably shouldn't be read over lunch.
"I've watched him grow as a player," Jones said. "In '05, he would throw up on the field during the game. I always felt it was nerves-related. He said it's something he's done all his life. But it's stopped. Something has changed about his confidence and leadership."
Ivan Maisel is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Send your questions and comments to Ivan at email@example.com.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns 'shocked, upset' by resignation
- UW coach: Rules claims are 'untrue attacks'
- Report: BC, Irish discussing Fenway game
- Bama LB Dickson suspended for Sugar Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2007 Bowl Season
• Maisel: What a way to geaux
• Wojciechowski: Miles deserves a wa-hooooo
• Forde: Ohio St. buckles under BCS pressure
• Schlabach: Game analysis
• GameDay: Big Ten weak?
• Forde/Schlabach: BCS analysis
• Forde/Schlabach: Keys to the game
• McShay: BCS breakdown
• Postgame quotes: Jim Tressel
• Postgame quotes: Glenn Dorsey
• Postgame quotes: Les Miles
• LSU celebrates win over Ohio State
BCS Title Game Preview
• Forde/Maisel: 10 reasons Ohio State/LSU will win
• Forde: BCS title game important for more than football to New Orleans
• Maisel: OSU's children of the scorn
• Forde: Destiny's Team tag fits Tigers well
• Wojciechowski: Don't believe the hype
• Forde: Tale of the tape
• Maisel: BCS QBs not stars, but leaders
• Schlabach: 'Ironhead' Heyward's memory alive in son
• Beanie carries the load for Bucks
• Maisel: Healthy Dorsey ready to roll
• Wojciechowski: Ohio State's motivational DVD
• Maisel: Face of the Ohio State
• Wojciechowski: Les is more
• Schlabach: BCS notebook
• Low: Steltz family ties
• Low: Early bowls offer BCS game clues
• Scouts' edge: LSU or Ohio State?
• Forde/Maisel: Breaking down the title game
• Forde/Maisel: Hester, Laurinaitis define teams
• Forde/Schlabach: X-Factors
• Schlabach: Bucks' WRs key
• Players expect electric atmosphere
• GameDay: Which defense will prevail?
• Forde/Maisel: LSU's D-Line vs. Ohio State's O-Line
• Maisel/Schlabach: Title game intangibles
• Forde/Schlabach: Pelini's impeding departure a factor?
• McShay: BCS Championship preview
• Forde: Stewart nails on-the-job interview
• Forde: Scene of the crime
• Forde: Mo' money, mo' problems
• Forde: Picture worth 1,000 words
• Schlabach: USC looks like nation's best team
• Feldman: McKnight's impressive coming-out party
• Schlabach: Illinois' offense as easy as 1-2-3
• Feldman: USC defense starts, finishes up front
• Schlabach: Rose coaches have similar stories
• Feldman: Patience helps Booty weather storm
• Schlabach: Leman's success mirrors Illini's rise
• Feldman: USC still up despite 'down' year
• Schlabach: Third year a charm for Zook, Illini
• Maisel: Seems like old times
• Low: Howard hosts sack party
• Maisel: Sweet smell of success
• Schlabach: Richt takes a walk on the wild side
• Dinich: Jones finds ohana in Hawaii
• Low: Growth spurt helps Georgia come of age
• Nielsen: 'Dread-Heads' Hawaii's unsung stars
• Dinich: Kansas proved it belonged
• Dinich: Kansas time share
• Dinich: Virginia Tech makes two work
Other Bowl Coverage
• Adelson: A final spin in the old Carr
• Dinich: Texas Tech steals a bit of luck
• Low: Liberty Bowl win caps MSU's season
• Low: Croom's breakthrough season
• Low: UCF's Smith running into record books
• Feldman: Motivated Horns stampede Sun Devils
• Maisel: Lone Star State QBs shining on bowls
• Schlabach: Coaching transition game
• Forde: Schnellenberger takes road less traveled
What To Watch
• Pat Forde: Bowl-der Dash
• Feldman's picks: December | January
• Flash Gallery: Chris Low's impact players
• Heather Dinich: Bowling for the best gifts
BCS Selection Sunday
• Pat Forde: The grateful duo
• Ivan Maisel: Tigers, Bucks survive, advance
• Gene Wojciechowski: Theater of the absurd
More Bowl Coverage
• BCS: Rose | Sugar | Fiesta | Orange
• BCS National Championship Game
• Bowl Overview | Bowl Schedule | Bowl Index