Granger has back surgery, won't play vs. Gators
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma defensive tackle DeMarcus Granger has undergone back surgery and will not play in the FedEx BCS National Championship Game against Florida.
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops made the announcement Wednesday, a day after saying starting running back DeMarco Murray will also miss the Jan. 8 game.
Murray is out with a hamstring injury and is also scheduled for surgery.
A backup, Granger played in 11 games during the season and recorded 20 tackles and two fumble recoveries.
Granger did not play in the Big 12 championship game against Missouri because of back problems.
The surgery was performed Monday and OU trainer Scott Anderson says Granger will likely miss spring practice while recovering.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns 'shocked, upset' by resignation
- UW coach: Rules claims are 'untrue attacks'
- Report: BC, ND in talks to play at Fenway Park
- Bama LB Dickson suspended for Sugar Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Oklahoma Sooners Mini Rubber Football