Paterno to coach from press box
LOS ANGELES -- Still recovering from hip surgery, Joe Paterno will coach from the press box when No. 6 Penn State plays No. 5 Southern California on Thursday in the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Citi.
The 82-year-old Paterno said he doesn't think he can handle four hours on his feet, and his doctor is concerned someone might bump him and set his recovery back.
Paterno had hip replacement surgery nearly six weeks ago to fix an injury that forced him to spend the last seven games of the regular season coaching from the press box.
Paterno, speaking at a news conference Wednesday, also worries that he might be a distraction on the sideline.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
- A&M, UCLA agree to home-and-home series
- Wife believes Sandusky 'definitely' innocent
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Men's Penn State Nittany Lions 2013 Football Schedule T-Shirt