Paterno to coach from press box
LOS ANGELES -- Still recovering from hip surgery, Joe Paterno will coach from the press box when No. 6 Penn State plays No. 5 Southern California on Thursday in the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Citi.
The 82-year-old Paterno said he doesn't think he can handle four hours on his feet, and his doctor is concerned someone might bump him and set his recovery back.
Paterno had hip replacement surgery nearly six weeks ago to fix an injury that forced him to spend the last seven games of the regular season coaching from the press box.
Paterno, speaking at a news conference Wednesday, also worries that he might be a distraction on the sideline.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Running back Gordon will return to Badgers
- SEC fines schools for cowbells, rushing field
- North Dakota St. cruises into FCS title game
- Football at Fenway: Irish-BC set 2015 date
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Penn State Nittany Lions Hail Mary Youth Football