Rose Bowl ratings down 15 percent
BRISTOL, Conn. -- The Rose Bowl's move to cable drew ESPN's highest preliminary rating for a non-NFL game.
TCU's 21-19 win over Wisconsin on Saturday earned an 11.7 overnight rating, down 15 percent from the 13.8 for Ohio State-Oregon on ABC last year. ESPN is available in about 13 percent fewer homes than ABC.
The BCS bowls switched to cable for the first time this season, with ESPN taking over the contract for the Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and title game from Fox and shifting the Rose from sister network ABC.
ESPN said Sunday the Rose Bowl rating was the highest non-NFL overnight on all of cable since it began keeping records in 2001.
Ratings represent the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned into a program. Overnight ratings measure the country's largest markets.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Wash. St. collapses in bowl after 2 fumbles
- USC routs Fresno State in Las Vegas Bowl
- ULL tops Tulane for 3rd straight NO Bowl win
- San Diego St. pounds Buffalo in Potato Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings TCU Horned Frogs Signature Series Full-Size Logo Football