Dawgs-Gators winner will have inside track to SEC East title
If you adhere to the requests of university presidents, Saturday's game between No. 6 Georgia and No. 8 Florida is no longer the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party."But it might be the closest thing in college football to a bar-room brawl. And, given the high stakes for both teams, one fan base figures to leave Jacksonville, Fla., with one heck of a hangover.
Great FLA-UGA Moments
• Run, Lindsay, Run!: Facing third-and-11 at Georgia's 7, quarterback Buck Belue threw a short pass to Lindsay Scott. Scott out ran Florida's defense for a 93-yard touchdown with 1:03 left, leading the Bulldogs to a 26-21 win and preserving their unbeaten record during the 1980 national championship season.• Dogs Get Trapped: Florida's Richard Trapp had perhaps the greatest individual play in the rivalry's history, breaking eight tackles en route to a 52-yard touchdown catch late in the 1967 game. The Gators won 17-16 on Wayne Barfield's 31-yard field goal with 34 seconds to play. • Appleby to Washington: The unranked Bulldogs trailed No. 11 Florida 7-3 with about 3 1/2 minutes to play in the 1975 game, when Georgia coach Vince Dooley uncharacteristically called a trick play. Tight end Richard Appleby took a handoff on an end-around, but stopped and fired an 80-yard touchdown pass to Gene Washington. Georgia won the game, 10-7. Ricky the Rocket: After stopping Georgia on fourth-and-goal in the 1984 game, Florida quarterback Kerwin Bell throws a 96-yard touchdown to Ricky Nattiel. The Gators cruised to a 27-0 victory and finished unbeaten in SEC play. The Timeout: In a driving rain storm in Jacksonville in 1993, Georgia quarterback Eric Zeier threw a game-tying touchdown with five seconds to play. But officials ruled Gators cornerback Anthone Lott called timeout before the play. Florida escaped with a 33-26 victory.
-- Mark Schlabach
Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com. You can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Buckeyes' Miller throwing ahead of schedule
- Manziel A&M jersey expected to fetch $100K
- Man acquitted in death of EMU football player
- Fitzgerald: Union push 'unified' Northwestern