Charges dropped after two others acquitted
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Charges against two former Notre Dame football players accused of rape will be dropped after one former teammate was found innocent and another was convicted of a lesser charge.
The announcement Monday means that Lorenzo Crawford, of Prospect Park, N.J., and Justin Smith, of St. Petersburg, Fla., will not stand trial.
The woman accused the four men of luring her into a bedroom in March 2002 after she met Smith at a bar and agreed to go with the men and another woman to Smith's home. She said the men repeatedly raped her.
The men, who were expelled from Notre Dame for what the university called sexual misconduct, said the sex was consensual.
Special prosecutor Maureen Devlin said she made the decision to dismiss the charges after talking to the woman who accused the men of raping her.
Devlin said her decision was based on the result of the first two trials. Donald Dykes was found innocent last month of rape and conspiracy to commit rape. Abram Elam was convicted of sexual battery but acquitted of conspiracy to commit rape and criminal deviate conduct.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press