COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State asked federal and state courts
Friday to dismiss motions filed against the university by suspended
tailback Maurice Clarett.
In a separate motion in municipal court, Clarett's attorney,
Percy Squire, asked for an order preventing information obtained
during an NCAA investigation from being used by prosecutors in a
case charging Clarett with filing a false police report.
All three legal maneuvers tie into accusations that Clarett
filed an exaggerated theft report with campus police in April after
a car he was borrowing from a dealership was broken into. Clarett
has pleaded innocent to one count of falsification, a misdemeanor
with a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.
Clarett's federal complaint, filed last week in Columbus,
accuses Ohio State of releasing his "protected educational
records" in violation of a 2000 court order.
The complaint seeks a fine against Ohio State of at least $2.5
million -- payable to Clarett -- and a court order preventing city
prosecutors from using the information as evidence in the
Clarett also has filed a motion in Franklin County Common Pleas
Court last month asking that his attorneys be allowed to take sworn
statements from university officials about the charge he lied to
police. The complaint says by withholding that information, Ohio
State has subjected Clarett to prosecution in Franklin County
In separate responses Friday, Ohio State lawyers said Clarett's
federal case was "fundamentally flawed and fails on numerous legal
bases," and called his state case "an unwarranted fishing
Ohio State lawyers said the information Clarett accused the
university of releasing was not a "student disciplinary record,"
so his privacy rights were not violated, according to court
Squire said the NCAA investigation of Clarett resulted in a
"student educational record" that is protected under the Family
Education Rights and Privacy Act.
Clarett is suspended for his sophomore season for accepting
money from a family friend and lying about it to investigators. He
is separately suing the NFL, asking a federal judge in New York to
throw out a rule that prevents him from entering the draft until he
has been out of high school for three years.