Cal will play Virginia Tech
TEMPE, Ariz. -- California was picked Monday to be Virginia Tech's opponent in the Insight Bowl.
Cal (7-6) won four of its final five games to earn its first bowl appearance since 1996. The Bears' highlight this season was a 34-31 overtime win over Southern California, the only blemish for the second-ranked Trojans.
"Playing in a bowl game was one of our primary goals this year, so today's announcement represents a milestone for this team and the Cal football program," coach Jeff Tedford said.
The Hokies (8-4) dropped three of their last four games after upsetting Miami 31-7 on Nov. 1, a victory that lifted them to fifth in the nation.
The game will be played Dec. 26 at Bank One Ballpark, the home of baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Alabama's Reed arrested, charged with DUI
- Marshall out of media days after pot citation
- Winston: FSU degree 'very important to me'
- ADs for Miss. State, KSU set series on Twitter
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Virginia Tech Hokies Maroon Coaches Performance Polo