Cal will play Virginia Tech
TEMPE, Ariz. -- California was picked Monday to be Virginia Tech's opponent in the Insight Bowl.
Cal (7-6) won four of its final five games to earn its first bowl appearance since 1996. The Bears' highlight this season was a 34-31 overtime win over Southern California, the only blemish for the second-ranked Trojans.
"Playing in a bowl game was one of our primary goals this year, so today's announcement represents a milestone for this team and the Cal football program," coach Jeff Tedford said.
The Hokies (8-4) dropped three of their last four games after upsetting Miami 31-7 on Nov. 1, a victory that lifted them to fifth in the nation.
The game will be played Dec. 26 at Bank One Ballpark, the home of baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Bama opens spring practice in search of QB
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
- A&M, UCLA agree to home-and-home series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Virginia Tech Hokies Full-Sized Game Time Football