Illini suffered 5th-worst run defense
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Illinois defensive coordinator Mike Cassity was fired Thursday, less than two weeks after the Illini finished a 1-11 season, their worst since 1997.
Illinois gave up an average of 427 yards a game, second-worst in the Big Ten. The Illini were last in the conference and eighth-worst in the country against the run, allowing almost five yards per carry and 223 yards per game.
Before Cassity came to Illinois in 2001, he was the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State for two seasons.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- OU RB meets with police over alleged assault
- OK State has APR penalty rescinded by NCAA
- Kentucky great 'Wah Wah' Jones dies at 88
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Illinois Fighting Illini Throwback Mini Football