Illini suffered 5th-worst run defense
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Illinois defensive coordinator Mike Cassity was fired Thursday, less than two weeks after the Illini finished a 1-11 season, their worst since 1997.
Illinois gave up an average of 427 yards a game, second-worst in the Big Ten. The Illini were last in the conference and eighth-worst in the country against the run, allowing almost five yards per carry and 223 yards per game.
Before Cassity came to Illinois in 2001, he was the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State for two seasons.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
- Seahawks' Sherman, Bennett rip 'scam' NCAA
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Illinois Fighting Illini #6 Orange Football Game Jersey