Army, Navy could split C-USA membership
HOUSTON -- The Naval Academy is considering aligning itself with Conference USA for football, a Navy official said Monday.
It would be the first conference affiliation for the Midshipmen, who began playing football in 1879.
"The idea, the concept that's on the table right now is that Army and Navy would split a membership and actually play a number of games, not necessarily a full schedule but number of games, say four each to constitute eight in total in Conference USA," Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk told Houston television station KRIV.
Houston athletic director Dave Maggard said the schools and conference have discussed the possibility for several weeks and that he thinks such an affiliation would benefit the conference.
Gladchuck is in Houston for Navy's Tuesday game against Texas Tech in the Houston Bowl.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Former Cal AD Barbour hired by Penn State
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- UGA frosh Bellamy faces DUI, speeding charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's Navy Midshipmen Navy Football Tech Performance T-Shirt