Surgery for Carter expected in two weeks
Carter tore his anterior cruciate ligament in a scrimmage Wednesday. He will have surgery within the next two weeks.
"You hate to lose him because he was making good progress and playing good football for us," Bowden said.
A decision to move a player to back up Irons, Henshaw and junior walk-on Matt Root will be made next week, Bowden said.
Henshaw, who injured his collarbone during Wednesday's scrimmage, has returned. Root is practicing with broken finger.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Sherman, Bennett rip 'scam' NCAA
- Sources: ACC to count BYU among Power 5
- Former PSU player Taliaferro now lawmaker
- Grantham opts to stay at L'ville over Raiders
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Florida State Seminoles #5 Platinum Limited Football Jersey