Target not named in Denver Post article

Updated: August 22, 2004, 11:29 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

DENVER -- A grand jury has handed down an indictment regarding the use of prostitutes to entice football recruits to the University of Colorado, according to a report Sunday by the Denver Post.

The newspaper does not say who is named in the indictment but adds that the jury also issued a critical report of CU.

Among those who testified before the panel were football coach Gary Barnett; athletic director Richard Tharp; several players; and Pasha Cowan, the former manager of an escort service.

Cowan said football recruiting aide Nathan Maxcey paid $2,500 for three call girls to visit "very young, very athletic men" at Boulder-area hotels. Maxcey has denied being a go-between.

The Post called Maxcey's house Saturday but was told he had no comment.

"He doesn't have any statement," the unidentified man who answered the phone told the newspaper. "He just says he didn't do anything wrong."

The report and indictment could be released within weeks, although Colorado judges can release grand jury reports only if they address misuse of public funds, abuse of authority by a public official or wrongful conduct with regard to a governmental function, according to the Post.

A commission appointed by the university regents concluded that players arranged sex, drugs and alcohol for recruits but said there was no evidence Colorado officials "knowingly sanctioned" the activities.

CU regent Pat Hayes told the Post on Saturday that the regents don't know what to expect from Attorney General Ken Salazar's investigation. Hayes added, however, that the university's chief lawyer had indicated earlier this month that "indictments, one or more" were possible.

Michele McKinney, a spokeswoman for CU president Betsy Hoffman, told the newspaper that university officials have not heard from the attorney general's office.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ALSO SEE