Indicted Maxcey now lives in Texas

Originally Published: August 28, 2004
Associated Press

BOULDER, Colo. -- A former University of Colorado football recruiting assistant accused of soliciting a prostitute is scheduled to appear in Boulder County Court on Tuesday.

Nathan Maxcey, 28, was the only person indicted after a state grand jury ended its investigation earlier this month into allegations that the CU football program used sex and alcohol to entice promising recruits.

Maxcey, who now lives in Texas, surrendered to Boulder County authorities Thursday and was released on $5,000 bond that prohibits him from leaving the state. Deputy District Attorney Pete Maguire said Maxcey has a court hearing Tuesday to ask permission to return to Texas.

He is scheduled to enter a plea Sept. 9.

Maxcey is charged with misdemeanor solicitation for prostitution and two felonies: embezzlement of public property and theft, both related to allegations he used a school cell phone to call a dating chat line.

Attorney General Ken Salazar asked the grand jury to investigate allegations about the football program. He said last week that other matters relating to the investigation were still pending, but didn't elaborate.

Pasha Cowan, the manager of a now-defunct escort service, said Maxcey paid her $2,500 in the fall of 2002 for three call girls to visit "very young, very athletic men" at two Boulder-area hotels.

Maxcey has said he called the service only for himself. He is accused of accumulating $1,043 in charges on his university-issued cell phone in 90 calls totaling nearly 100 hours to a dating chat line.

The football recruiting scandal erupted early this year after depositions in a lawsuit against the school were released. Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan said in a deposition in a lawsuit by Lisa Simpson that she believes the football program uses sex and alcohol-fueled parties to interest recruits in attending CU.

Simpson is one of three women suing the school, claiming they were raped during or after an off-campus party attended by football players and recruits in December 2001.

No sexual assault charges have ever been filed, but the allegations led to investigations by an independent commission, university officials and the grand jury.


Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press

ALSO SEE